A concern most brides would have while selecting their gowns to rent for their wedding day, is how well would the gown and their body shape fit. While there are many articles you can find on this (we have included ours below), we feel that there really is no rules that is set in stone. For example: one rule we have read is for petite bride to avoid the ball gown but we have seen countless petite bride looking so beautiful in ball gowns).
This is because there are other factors that comes into play such as the gown design and length. As such our rule is to test fit the gown just to be sure. Yes, such methods do take a bit of time but at the newlyweds, we would be happy to go through the test fitting with you except perhaps do bring something for the groom to spend his time on.
Types of Gown
Ball Gown: A full and heavy bottom skirt with a slim waist. Best for for brides with boyish figure. Petite brides may want to avoid such gown so as to not be overwhelm by the large bottom skirt.
Mermaid Gown: One of our favourites for pre-wedding shoot. The gown hugs tightly to the hips and thighs of the gown before loosening out below the knee cap thus showcasing the bride figure. A variation of the mermaid gown is the trumpet gown. In summary, if you have the curves and want to show it off, this gown is for you.
Sheath/Column Gown: A gown that follows the body natural line and as the name suggest adds lengthening effect due to the long, straight lines of the gown. Preferable for petite bride and avoidable for pear shape bride as the shape of the gown can make you look unbalanced.
A Line Gown: As implied by it’s name, this gown creates an A shape with a narrow cut on top and slowly flaring out to form an A shape. This gown is suitable usually for all body type. Especially well liked for brides looking for a simple elegant gown.
Body Shapes and Gowns That Fit
- Hour Glass: Probably any gown would fit you but one of those that you must consider is the mermaid which would highlight the curves of your body perfectly.
- Pear Shape or Triangle Shape: For brides with triangle shape body, you can consider the A Line shape gown or Ball gown so as to highlight the narrow waist while the gown moves away from the hips and thighs. A V neckline would also be preferable to highlight your narrow upper body
- Round/Apple Shape: A gown that is tighter just below your chest where your waist is the smallest while slowly flaring out in an A would be preferable.
- Square shape: For brides with square shape, the rule of thumb is to use your gown to create curves. A ball gown and A line gown is perfect for this.
- Inverted Triangle: you can again consider the ball gown with a deep V neck to slim down the top. Find a gown that is able to show off subtly your leg while you moved.
We hope the above article do help to answer some of your question with regards to gowns and body shape. To book an appointment with us for gown fitting, do give us a call at 8787 1951 or check out our bridal gown packages prices.